Monday, November 15, 2010

Dogs Speak When Spoken To

Blue, who inspired Blue Paw Nation dog walking products, continues to inspire and awe!

Dogs have always been more than human companions. When we struggle through life they are excellent confidants and psychologists. I ask my dogs for advice on all subjects and believe it or not the answers always come to me. Proof of their understanding of this dialougue was never so evident to me as when we hired a professional dog sitter to watch our girls, Nala and Blue on a weekend away.


I was a bit apprehensive about allowing Margie, professional dog sitter into my home when I was not there. The major reason why was not because I didn't trust Margie. After all she came recommended to me from my midwife, a woman I trusted my labor to. I met her a few times before going away. We introduced Blue and Nala to Margie off the property as Cesar Milan, famous "Dog Whisperer" instructed. The ladies all seemed to get along splendidly at all of our outings. I still held a bit of anxiety for that first time Margie entered Blue's home without Mom or Dad home. Blue is a Mastiff/Pit Bull mix. She is genetically geared toward protecting her territory with a relentless will, and protect she can! Oh boy.

Knowing Blue's genetic make up, Margie asked if a family member could let her in the first time she arrived. My sister was happy to help. Christina dressed Blue's collar and leash with Margie there inside the home. Christina then left Margie to walk 90 lb Blue first, then 60 lb Nala second, a hyper Boxer. We felt the dogs would get more out of their walks with Margie solo. Along the walk Margie said Blue was pulling to lead fiercely. She pulled all of the dog walking tricks out of her professional hat to prevent this behavior but the force was strong with Blue. Finally, almost exhausted, Margie said out loud, "Blue please stop pulling and walk WITH me!" Guess what happened? That's right, Blue stopped pulling instantly. Margie couldn't believe it. Over the course of the weekend Blue tried to pull on each walk. Margie found that Blue only stopped pulling when Margie spoke to her throughout the walk.

The moral of this story you ask? Speak kindly to your pets as often as you can. They not only understand but they appreciate open lines of communication as much as we do!

Brought to you with love from www.BluePawNation.com

No comments:

Post a Comment